Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Thought I Was Southern Until...

This past week I saw on several blog posts that everyone was loving their summer tomato pies. Now, I am a southern girl and thought that I was a southern food connoisseur to say the least... but oh was I wrong. I for one had never heard of tomato pie nor had I ever tasted it. So immediately I consulted my dad; the southern chef, who had also never heard of tomato pie. I was dumb founded. This was only more inspiration to create a pie of my own to see what it was that we've been missing all these years. I found quite a few recipes online and decided to tweak a few and take dibs and dabs from different recipes to create my own. Needless to say, mom and I had eaten two pieces of the pie straight out of the oven before the table was even set. This has to be one of my new favorites!
remember, I'm not a food photographer... but it was delicious!

via
What you need:

Pre-made Pie Crust from the freezer section (brand doesn't matter)
1 Sweet Onion (even if you don't like onion you'll love this)
4 Small Tomatoes (I used 3 yellow tomatoes and 1 red tomato... the yellow ones are the best because they aren't as acidic so they're almost sweeter)
4 Basil Leaves Chopped or Basil Spice
Salt and Pepper
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3/4 Cup Mayo (you can use lite mayo if you please)

How to Make:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Let the pie crust set out for about 5 minutes if it is still really frozen
  3. If the pie crust is soft then you are ready. Take a fork and lightly poke the bottom of the crust to avoid bubbling. 
  4. Bake the crust at 350 for about 8 minutes... do not let it get golden brown!
  5. Slice the sweet onion into very thin slices vertically (you need about 5 slices) and set aside.
  6. Cut the tomatoes vertically and squeeze the excess juice out of them.
  7. Cut the tomatoes into small slices and place them in a colander.
  8. Take a paper towel and press the tomatoes to get all excess juice out (the more juice you get out the better) and set aside.
  9. Mix in a separate bowl the two cheeses and the mayo. This should make a creamy consistency.
  10. When pie crust is finished, place the onions in one layer on the bottom of the pie crust.
  11. Add tomatoes on top of the onions.
  12. Spread the cheese mix over the entire top of the pie.
  13. Bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees.
  14. Slice and eat warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment